Wednesday, February 11, 2009

They think it's Triploidy.

It's been one week since we found out Mary Grace has so many problems. I am now 18 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I didn't think it could get worse than a diagnosis of Trisomy 18, but it can. Our genetic counselor called and the preliminary (FISH test) results are in and while the testing conditions were "suboptimal" according to our counselor, they found chromosomal abnormalities which they believe is Triploidy.

"While an extra copy of one chromosome (as in Trisomy 18- extra copy of chromosome 18) was very serious, an extra copy of every chromosome is far, far worse," our counselor told me. I let that sink in while I knelt on the floor in stunned silence. I was in the middle of prayer when the phone rang. Praying for healing, praying for the diagnosis not to be a Trisomy...and now, it's not.

She went on to explain that most Triploidy babies are miscarried in the first trimester, and it is rare that they carry on to the 2nd or third trimester, rarer still that a baby is born alive, and if so it will only live briefly after birth. There is nothing they can do to help the pregnancy, she added.

I got a little more information from her and then hung up. As if the last week hasn't already seemed like a reality that wasn't ours, now it feels even more surreal and clouded. I got online to look up more information and Mary Grace kicked me in the side, as if to say, "I'm still here!" I told her to keep fighting. We are going to pray our hearts out for you, Little One! God's plan may not be for a miracle, but that's not going to stop us from asking.

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." Ephesians 6:10

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet (((((Angela))))). Sending love, hugs and prayers to you, Mary Grace, and the rest of your family. Love, Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Angela, I am sending lots of big hugs and prayers your way sweetie. I will continue to pray everyday for Mary Grace and your family.

Anonymous said...

(sigh) Still praying for your family. Miracles happen...

Anonymous said...

I love you all so deeply and dearly. I am still praying.

Anonymous said...

Angela - I'm from the TWW message board (kdsrdms). I've been following your blog and praying like crazy.

I just moved from Raleigh to SC about 7 months ago. I wish I could hug you and pray with you.

I can't even imagine the surrealness of everything. I admire your faith.

I will not stop praying.

Anonymous said...

Angela, I am continuing to pray fervrently for you and sweet little Mary Grace. I found a story about a little girl who is (at the time of the last story that I read about her) over 6 years old who was born with Triploidy (yes, amazing, I know!). You might like to read her story at prenatalpartnersforlife.org/stories/storiesTriploidy_Sabrina.htm. I was so touched by one of the paragraphs that her mom wrote and hope that you will find some encouragement in reading it: "Our modern technology can tell us many things about a baby before he or she is born, . . . but technology cannot reveal the future. Doctors may tell you what they predict based on science, but only God knows what He has planned for your child and what will actually happen. Ultrasounds cannot tell you about the strength of the human soul and the desires of an unborn child." Nor can they tell you about God's plan for Mary Grace. The Lord's grace and peace be with you and your family. Pam S.

imdesired said...

((((Angela))))) You're so amazing and strong, Mary Grace is lucky to be carried by you. You were chosen to be her Mom for some reason, and we will continue to pray for her and a miracle.

BIG - FAT - HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

Angela: I can't honestly tell you how I happened upon your blog, but I truly believe the Lord guided me here. Your story has provided me with a strength and comfort that I have desperately needed as I too have been dealing with issues of loss over these past 4 months. I will continue to lift your family up in prayer and ask God to place his healing hands on Mary Grace. You are a remarkable woman who is truly blessed by the Lord.

Shannon said...

God gives us miracles! Keep waiting on him! And keep kicking, Mary Grace :)

Anonymous said...

Angela,

as I continue to read the blog postings my heart is so sad to hear the news from today. Sitting I work, I just sank deep into my chair and tears flowed down my face. "No Lord, this simply can't be..." are the words that I whispered. I pray in faith for that miracle and ask the LORD to protect & heal sweet baby girl! Praying, praying, praying....Millicent

Anonymous said...

Angela, Rob, Isabel, and glorious Mary Grace, we're praying as hard as we can. We are here for you in any way we can be.

Love, Jocelyn and Dona on Kingman

Kelly Via said...

I am friends with Meredith, and I just want you to know that I am praying for you, you husband, and for Mary Grace. I am asking Him for a miracle as well- and that her little body would be healed.

Anonymous said...

Rob, Angela, Isabel & Sweet Mary Grace: Today (Thursday 2/12) I will take your family in prayer to my women's bible study group here at St. Mark in Huntersville. I know that for now, faith is mostly perseverance for you both, but take comfort in knowing that myself and our entire Women Of Joy prayer group will be keeping you close at heart today and moving forward from today. Angela, remember that I dedicated my rosary saturday evening to the health & healing of sweet Mary Grace, and also remember that although yesterday's news was difficult to hear, you received it on the feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes (and my daughter Quinlan's birthday), so ask our sweet lady to be present as you process this in prayer and we'll pray too that Our Lady will carry your concerns to her Son with love and care for you both! Blessings and continued prayers for you from Huntersville and of course the rest of the EE community!!

Unknown said...

Hi! I just came across your blog by searching Triploidy. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss. I also lost a baby due to Triploidy a year ago. You can read her story at www.sweetsavannahknits.com. I like connecting with other Moms who have had Triploidy babies as well as it helps me not feel as alone. Take care!