Friday, February 20, 2009

Choosing life is choosing to love God.

Isabel and I are in Hendersonville right now as I am dropping her off to stay with Grammy and Grandpa G. for the weekend. Robert and I volunteer with Catholic Engaged Encounter which provides a weekend retreat for engaged couples, and that is this weekend. After the weekend I will pick Isabel back up and we will stay with some dear friends for a few days before heading back to Raleigh. Bottom line: this means I will likely not post for a few days and I don't want to worry anyone! We will be busy and I am glad for that since our next ultrasound seems like it's far off; it will be a good way to pass the time.

I want to thank everyone again for your supportive comments- I read each and every comment and often re-read them to get encouragement! I did however experience (second hand) my first negative piece of advice and opinion yesterday. It was relayed to me that one lady felt that maybe I should start listening to God and not try to have any more children, (as if God were saying "this is your third problem pregnancy, you should just quit"). As if that wasn't enough, she went on to say that I don't want to burden myself with raising a disabled child. Absolutely unbelievable. I don't think someone could say anything worse to a person in our situation. Now in all fairness, my mom says this lady is a good person who is misguided. It left me feeling sad for her...I wasn't initially angry about her advice (which surprised me!), I just felt hurt that that was her opinion; that she would think this baby means so little to Robert and I that we would abort her just so that we wouldn't be "burdened" by a disabled child. I will be blessed if my child even makes it to birth. How selfish to think that I wouldn't be blessed to raise her if she could survive longer. The whole conversation really ate at my heart over the night.

This morning we went to Mass at my mom's church and this was the Gospel reading: Mark 8:34-9:1

Jesus summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them,
"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me.
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for my sake
and that of the Gospel will save it.

What profit is there for one to gain the whole world
and forfeit his life?
What could one give in exchange for his life?
Whoever is ashamed of me and of my words
in this faithless and sinful generation,
the Son of Man will be ashamed of
when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."

He also said to them,
"Amen, I say to you,
there are some standing here who will not taste death
until they see that the Kingdom of God has come in power.


The homily, likewise reminded us that we are all children of God and when we love one another we are loving God. I mean, was that scripture passage and the homily just meant for me to hear today or what?! If I by a miracle of God, DO get to bring Mary Grace home and she is disabled then I will love her and that will be me loving God! And if she is disabled and I have to give up parts of my life to take care of her, then I am giving up my life for CHRIST, because she is HIS CHILD!

This was just a powerful reminder that we are on the right path by choosing LIFE; choosing to carry Mary Grace until God sees fit to take her, and loving her with or without triploidy and all the problems it causes.

Thank you friends for your continued prayers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs*

I just want you to know that you, your husband, your daughter, and Mary Grace are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. You are such a beautiful and spiritual person. You are a woman to be admired, adored, and held to a high regard. Mary Grace is incredibly blessed to have you.

Sometimes the fact that I live so near to you makes me wish I could give you a huge hug and embrace.

You are simply amazing.
bailie (TWW)

Anonymous said...

And this, my dear, is exactly why God picked you to be the mommy.

I guess, when compared to Christ, we are all disabled and yet, he loved us enough to suffer on the cross, become OUR SIN, and die so that we may have eternal life with God. How selfless is that??

I adore your heart for God. Please know that your testimony is reaching hundreds of people and I have NO DOUBT that someone's soul will be saved by seeing Christ in you.

Dawn (August mommy from TWW)

Anonymous said...

Angela,

Praying everyday for for Mary Grace!! She is a fighter just like her mommy!

HUGS
Nicole

Anonymous said...

I hope all is well. You still astound me sweet friend. I love all of you so much. Give me a call if you can while you're in the Hendersonville area, I would love to meet Mary Grace and say hello and also see Isabel and you of course! Still praying.
-Hilary

Anonymous said...

Also, seriously read the part called "Amazing Heart" on my blog. It's about you and how you well, ok...I keep using the word "amaze" me...
Hil