Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mary Grace's delivery.

We arrived home from the hospital at about 3:30pm Saturday. We went in at 7:30pm Thursday evening and started the induction medication at 10:45pm. I have to say here that our labor and delivery nurses, Tina, Linda, Aileen and Ruth at Rex Hospital were all amazing- very sensitive to our situation and attentive to our needs- they were excellent. Labor took about 31 hours from start to the time she was delivered. Mary Grace was born sleeping at 5:23am on Saturday, February 28th, which is also Mary Grace's great grandmother's birthday. She was 8 1/2 inches long and 6.5 ounces. She was delivered without my bag of water breaking, so she was perfectly preserved still in her amniotic sac.

We were able to hold her all morning and a very kind photographer, Robin Rogers (www.robinrogersphotography.com) from the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep organization (nowilaymedowntosleep.org) came and donated her services to take pictures of us with Mary Grace. I have to say I felt this lady was sent by God because she was so tender with Mary Grace and really made us feel completely comfortable. We were amazed by how tiny Mary Grace was; although I was 21 weeks when I delivered her, she was the size of a 15-16 week baby. And even so, she was perfectly made even with the physical problems in her little hand. Robert and I were just in awe of her and of God's work in her creation! It was a surprisingly calm and peace-filled time that we had once she was in our arms. I expected to be a wreck, and of course we were sad and are brokenhearted, but we were joy-filled to be able to hold and touch her.

There were no complications from the delivery for me. I am just a little crampy every now and then and quite tired from everything. Robert and I have picked a funeral home and a burial site but we still don't know the exact funeral date as of yet. I will be sure to post it here when we find out. My friend Meredith's mom found an organization in Nebraska that donates burial gowns for stillborn babies using donated wedding dresses. We are so appreciative that they were able to acquire one of these gorgeous tiny dresses for Mary Grace to be buried in...it is absolutely precious and perfect for her. The organization is the Mary Madeline Project (MaryMadelineProject.org). What an amazing organization and we are so thankful to the person who made her beautiful gown.

Thank you for all the prayers and sweet and thoughtful comments. We are so thankful for you and thankful that God has allowed Mary Grace to touch so many lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have found the burial gown to be perfect for Mary Grace. I have invited Carlin, the dear woman who began the Mary Madeline Project and the one to whom I spoke about your need, to view your website. I am in hopes that she does so that she can invite whoever made the tiny dress to read your kind words of appreciation. I kept your family in my prayers this morning as we celebrated Holy Communion at my church. I praise God for the brief life of Mary Grace and all the many people that she touched in her very short time with us. Thank you so much for sharing your strong faith with all who were drawn to your story. Love, Pam

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you had time with Mary Grace... to say hello and good-bye, to hold her and find some peace. This journey of yours has so touched me, and all with whom you've shared it. You have reminded us of just how precious every life is, no matter its length. I am surprised to learn of so many who serve the particular needs of families of stillborn babies. Please accept my love and prayers for your family during this difficult time. Marilyn