Wednesday, February 5, 2014

13 weeks 3 days and in the hospital

I am 13 weeks and 3 days and now I AM in the hospital. Last night I got lucky and there were no beds available. Today, after the CVS test they admitted me to UNC Women's Hospital where I am surrounded by a number of experts, none of which recall seeing a case that has presented like mine. The CVS test went well. I was extremely nervous that it would be painful like3e my ultrasound with Mary Grace had been, but thanks to God my placenta was perfectly positioned so that he was able to run a catheter right up through my cervix and to the placenta where he suctioned out some cells. Results might be available as early as tomorrow. My symptoms are high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism, tachycardia, extreme nausea especially after eating, cystic thick placenta, losing weight, baby is behind on growth, protein in urine,...I think that is it. The doctors are worried because apparently things can go downhill for the mother quickly with these complications from a partial molar pregnancy. They are worried specifically about: seizures, stroke, pulmonary oedema, bleeding and I think that is it. That's enough right? I still feel jittery, have the hand tremors, a slight headache, and kind of feel a bit of pressure in my head and neck. An anonymous commenter had the wonderful idea to consult the National Catholic Bioethics Center. Thankyou soooo very much for this idea!! My husband called and they were so incredibly helpful in laying out the moral options for this situation. I had no idea you could consult with them- I wish I had known about this service back in 2008 when we had our ovarian ectopic pregnancy.  So basically I think the plan is to wait and see what the CVS diagnostic test tells us.  Then we will know if this is truly a partial molar, and if the baby is chromosomally normal.  Of course Mary Grace had a chromosomal abnormality where we knew she would not live, we still carried her until her natural death in utero at 21 weeks.  The doctors in this case do not believe I would be able to carry this baby far enough for it to survive because my complications would become too severe before then.  The doctors here want to do a D&C.  But truly with a live baby, a D&C would be just like an abortion.  We wont do that even if my symptoms are getting worse.  The National Catholic Bioethics staff advised us that it would be ethical to induce labor to get rid of the placenta if that was in fact the source of the pathology....the trophoblastic placenta is what is causing all the serious health problems.  This would be morally allowed because of the intent to remove the source of the pathology, and the unintended effect would be the loss of our baby.  Because an induction would keep our baby intact and whole, it would preserve the dignity of our child who was made in the image of God.  Other options that are morally acceptable include a c-section which would remove the placenta and baby intact, or a hysterectomy if the doctors were to deem me to have sufficient risk if I kept my uterus.  Obviously if it comes down to one of these options, we would prefer the induction.  I have already mentioned our concerns about a D&C and our preference for induction should things continue to go downhill for me healthwise.  This was well-recieved by a compassionate doctor here but she had to ask the senior doctors if itbwould be "allowed".  Of course we hope that we can keep trucking along and keep me and baby stable....that is the ultimate goal.  Would you continue to pray for the doctors and their understanding of our values? We are so thankful for all of your prayers....it has really encouraged me to read your comments, emails and texts.  Thank you!  We are comforted by your prayers and by our precious Savior who knows the plans I have for you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

16 comments:

Kathryn said...

I have been thinking about you and praying for you. Thank you for the update. I will keep the prayers for all the intention of your heart, and for sensitive medical staff who respect you and your husband and your baby.

Alishia said...

You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Just a "lurker" here but I've been thinking of and praying for you all day! So glad you called the NCBC. I didn't think to suggest it, but once lived in the area and kind of knew some of the employees there and they really are wonderful. We will keep PRAYING HARD for you and for God's will to be clear in the whole situation. Blessings and hugs to you!

M said...

Praying so hard for you and the baby. I am praying for the medical Doctor's and staff as well!

Angie Huffman said...

Lots of prayers coming your way! I pray for the safety and health of you and your baby, as well as for guidance for your family and the doctors as you may be faced with some difficult decisions. Life is so precious!

JoAnna Wahlund said...

Continued prayers! I googled your condition yesterday because I wanted to know more about it, and read about several cases where the baby survived past viability, and some to term. I hope and pray for a good outcome for you and the baby.

JoAnna said...

Praying hard, Angela. I can only imagine what you are going thru right now but we will hold you and your family in our prayers and ask all the saints to do the same!

Anonymous said...

Angela & Rob, please know that our entire family is praying for yours. I hope you find peace in knowing that our prayers and fasting for this baby and for your health are going up to Heaven on your behalf. And I know that Mary Grace is praying for you, too. Rest, let them care for you, and stay firm in your faith and your moral ground. We love you and sure wish we were closer so that we could help! God bless all of yoU! ***hugs*** All our love, The McGoffs and the CEE community of Charlotte.

Cammie Diane said...

Praying!!!

Nicole said...

Our family will keep your family and your doctors in our prayers. Some words from St. Francis de Sales which I know have helped me....

The everlasting God in His wisdom has foreseen from all eternity the cross that He now presents to you as a gift from His inmost heart.
This cross He now sends you has been considered with His all-knowing eyes, understood with His divine mind, tested with His wise justice, warmed with loving arms and weighed with His own hands to see that it be not one inch too large and not one ounce too heavy for you.
He has blessed it with His holy Name, anointed it with His consolation, taken one last glance at you and your courage, and then sent it it you from heaven, a special greeting from God to you, an alms of the all-merciful love of God.

Meredith said...

fervently praying for you and all the specifics that are involved. The Lord knows all these details and has you in His hands. He made that precious baby within you and will protect and take care of it no matter what the outcomes are. Be comforted that He loves that baby more than you and will ensure safety and protection to that soul no matter what doctors need to do to keep you healthy. Love you friend.

Danielle said...

God bless, Angela! We are praying hard for wisdom, peace, and strength. We are praying that your doctors can respect your beliefs - my experience with UNC docs is that they do, but I know sometimes their hands are tied by laws and regulations that don't make any sense.

Joy Beyond the Cross said...

So glad you got a hold of the NCBC and they were able to help you process your options. Praying for a miracle over here and for health and safety for you and baby!

The Will Of God In All Things said...

Take comfort in all the prayers headed your way Angela. Am thinking about you and your family.
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make a donation to the NCBC. I have their number in my wallet because I care for my elderly parent, and, well, you never know. That they were able to give you valid, Catholic options given what you may be facing is so filled with grace. Thank you for being faith filled Catholics who take the teachings of Christ and His Church seriously.
God Bless You. I'm praying for you. ~ Bonnie

Unknown said...

I want to send you so much prayer and love. I recently had a really hard miscarriage. It's so hard to make loving, and faithful decisions while you're in the middle of this. I remember feeling very uncertain b/c I was dealing with an uncommon type of miscarriage.

God is so pleased by our humble efforts. This is the biggest work we do in our lives. This small moment with your husband, youself, and the child that you adore, and may have already lost--this is a huge moment.

Have great peace my Sister. Love never fails. You'll receive Wisdom. You'll feel peaceful with whatever decision you make, because all your decision are made in Love. Love never fails!

St Gerard, bless her.