Wednesday, February 5, 2014
13 weeks 3 days and in the hospital
I am 13 weeks and 3 days and now I AM in the hospital. Last night I got lucky and there were no beds available. Today, after the CVS test they admitted me to UNC Women's Hospital where I am surrounded by a number of experts, none of which recall seeing a case that has presented like mine. The CVS test went well. I was extremely nervous that it would be painful like3e my ultrasound with Mary Grace had been, but thanks to God my placenta was perfectly positioned so that he was able to run a catheter right up through my cervix and to the placenta where he suctioned out some cells. Results might be available as early as tomorrow. My symptoms are high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism, tachycardia, extreme nausea especially after eating, cystic thick placenta, losing weight, baby is behind on growth, protein in urine,...I think that is it. The doctors are worried because apparently things can go downhill for the mother quickly with these complications from a partial molar pregnancy. They are worried specifically about: seizures, stroke, pulmonary oedema, bleeding and I think that is it. That's enough right? I still feel jittery, have the hand tremors, a slight headache, and kind of feel a bit of pressure in my head and neck. An anonymous commenter had the wonderful idea to consult the National Catholic Bioethics Center. Thankyou soooo very much for this idea!! My husband called and they were so incredibly helpful in laying out the moral options for this situation. I had no idea you could consult with them- I wish I had known about this service back in 2008 when we had our ovarian ectopic pregnancy. So basically I think the plan is to wait and see what the CVS diagnostic test tells us. Then we will know if this is truly a partial molar, and if the baby is chromosomally normal. Of course Mary Grace had a chromosomal abnormality where we knew she would not live, we still carried her until her natural death in utero at 21 weeks. The doctors in this case do not believe I would be able to carry this baby far enough for it to survive because my complications would become too severe before then. The doctors here want to do a D&C. But truly with a live baby, a D&C would be just like an abortion. We wont do that even if my symptoms are getting worse. The National Catholic Bioethics staff advised us that it would be ethical to induce labor to get rid of the placenta if that was in fact the source of the pathology....the trophoblastic placenta is what is causing all the serious health problems. This would be morally allowed because of the intent to remove the source of the pathology, and the unintended effect would be the loss of our baby. Because an induction would keep our baby intact and whole, it would preserve the dignity of our child who was made in the image of God. Other options that are morally acceptable include a c-section which would remove the placenta and baby intact, or a hysterectomy if the doctors were to deem me to have sufficient risk if I kept my uterus. Obviously if it comes down to one of these options, we would prefer the induction. I have already mentioned our concerns about a D&C and our preference for induction should things continue to go downhill for me healthwise. This was well-recieved by a compassionate doctor here but she had to ask the senior doctors if itbwould be "allowed". Of course we hope that we can keep trucking along and keep me and baby stable....that is the ultimate goal. Would you continue to pray for the doctors and their understanding of our values? We are so thankful for all of your prayers....it has really encouraged me to read your comments, emails and texts. Thank you! We are comforted by your prayers and by our precious Savior who knows the plans I have for you, plans to give you a hope and a future.