Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ian's 6 month check-up...about as I expected.

The poor baby has dropped from 75th% at birth to 5th%..... pretty much as I expected.  He weighed in at a whopping (haha) 14 pounds 7 ounces.  His length is about 40th% and head circumference is still up there too, so the pediatrician was not "overly concerned", but she was concerned enough to agree that we needed to ramp up his calories.

So now, he gets high calorie breastmilk!  That is 3 oz of breastmilk mixed with 1 teaspoon of powdered formula.  Or if I need to do 100% formula at a feeding, then he gets 5 oz of water with 3 scoops of powdered formula...that gives him 24 calories/ounce versus the average 20 calories/ounce of regular formula or breastmilk.  It didn't sound like that much to me, going from 20 calories/ounce to 24/ounce until Rob reminded me that that was a 20% increase in calories per ounce, so yeah, I guess he's right ;)

Now I never knew  you could combine breastmilk and formula powder!  Somewhere I had read that you should swirl, not shake breastmilk as it breaks down something in the breastmilk.  Well, it's kind of difficult to "swirl in" the formula powder.......ahhh....the challenges around here never cease! ;)

The pediatrician said that since Isabel went through the same thing, and went through pretty much every test imaginable and we have found nothing "wrong", then it is likely just genetic...hereditary. 

Yep, just like I gain 50-70lbs each pregnancy, I also grow tiny children. 

Yes, I realize that gaining that much weight during pregnancy is not hereditary!  Wish I could claim that one!

In all seriousness though, I've really had a hard time entrusting this baby to God in the area of weight gain.  In fact, I would say that I haven't done it.  I've been trying to fight this "get my baby to gain weight" battle all on my own, possibly even against God, and let me tell you, it's not been working.  Sometimes it's hard to remember that I can choose to turn each and  every moment over to Him.

When I'm tired.
When I'm making the umpteenth bottle of extra calories.
When the dishes are piling up.
When Isabel doesn't want to focus on her school work.
When the cloth diapers need to be washed, again.
When Ian crawls to the same hard cornered "foot" of the dining room table over and over, and I have to pull him back so that he doesn't bump.
When I get that unexpected bill in the mail.
When the man in the faith formation car pool line yells at me because he thinks I'm not following carpool line directions....
I should have given it all to Him. 

Every moment is a choice. 
God help me, in every moment, to remember to choose You.

4 comments:

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all that! Had to laugh at the man in the faith formation car pool line yelling at you...sheesh! I'm working on giving it all to Him, too- and not taking it back!

Hope this helps Ian!

Karen said...

Gah! I'm right there with you sister! I know weight isn't everything but it's so hat to sit there and hear a doctor tell you that your baby isn't growing. I knew taking Mary-Grace in that she hadn't grown. It was obvious, she was still wearing all of the clothes I bought her and most were still too big. But it hurts to hear it and see the proof on paper.

Prayers for you and for little Ian.

Meredith said...

Yes, you go girl, give it all to Him, in every moment. Its such a struggle for our flesh though. You know I'll be praying for Ian's weight gain and obvioulsy know what you're going thru...Hannah was only 15 pounds at ONE year, so I think Ian's doing pretty well! ;) He looks perfect to me and you'll be suprised how much the small amt. of formula will help..my nephew had to do the same and he added a perfect amount of weight! Ian is God's and He created him perfectly so just remind yourself of that daily! love you friend.

mrsblondies said...

Dealing with weight gain issues is definitely one of the most stressful things I've had to do. Ian is still a couple of ounce heavier than K is. Praying for you.