Friday, June 3, 2011
Quick Takes #7
1. The heat here is just zapping my energy! Today it is only 86, but for some reason it feels worse than the 95 we had yesterday! We installed the thermal window film on several of our west facing windows and it has made a HUGE difference in the temperature inside our home...or at least a huge difference on how hard our poor AC unit has to work! I'm almost giddy to see the electric bill next month to calculate our savings!
2. My husband surprised me with a new camera for my birthday....okay, it's not my birthday until the 20th, but to get this one, he had to sell my SLR and I kind of couldn't go without a camera for Ian's baptism which is a week from tomorrow! So I got it early! It's an Olympus Pen E-PL1 and it's awesome. I'm in love with it. I went from an Olympus E-500 to the Pen.
3. Last night our german shepherd killed a giant rabbit that somehow entered our fenced in backyard. I was really surprised since Greta does nothing but gently play and herd our cat. I guess she thought the rabbit was an intruder. I was kind of upset about it until Rob reminded me that if it had been a fox or coyote, we would have wanted her to get it out of there....still...
4. My garden is growing really well! I have tomato plants, corn, zucchini, cucumber, watermelon and sweet peas, oh and lettuce and pepper plants this year. The only problem I'm having is massive weeds!!! Not sure how to get rid of them....I'm pulling like crazy, but the more I water, the more they come back.
5. We are having grilled chicken (marinated in greek dressing) and an orzo tomato pasta salad for dinner tonight and I'm starving. It's 6:01pm.
6. Ian is teething. Did I mention that last week? Well it's for sure! He gnaws his fist and has given himself a hickie on his arm from chewing...poor baby can't hold up a teething ring or anything really to chew on yet! He goes for his 2 month visit on Monday...and gets shots :(
7. Finally, Isabel and I were watching A Baby Story the other day and the mother-to-be had been adopted when she was a baby...so I said to Iz, "She was adopted." Isabel replied, "From where?....the purgatory?" I then cracked up....she meant "the orphanage" but Lord knows how she confused "purgatory" with "orphanage"....it was too funny!