Monday, March 29, 2010

Important Correction!

A fellow blogger has made me aware that I have inaccurately portrayed some of the Church's teachings on IUI in my recent Fertility Q&A post and I definitely want to give you all the correct info! 

As far as IUI goes, here is what the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops website states:

Reproductive Technologies under Discussion (neither "approved" nor "disapproved"):
1. Gamete intra‐fallopian transfer (GIFT).
(The Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has not yet pronounced on the
subject.)
2. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) of "licitly obtained" (normal intercourse) but
technologically prepared semen sample (washed, etc.).   

http://www.usccb.org/LifeGivingLove/Reproductive-Technology-Guidelines.pdf

I had stated that IUI was not approved by the Catholic Church, and as of this posting it is neither approved or disapproved when the guidelines (as mentioned in #2 above) are followed. 

I apologize for misstating this and am very thankful to the blogger who pointed this out!

The following is also a very good article from the USCCB regarding Catholic views of reproductive technology if you are interested in further reading:  http://www.usccb.org/prolife/programs/rlp/98rlphaa.shtml 

Have a blessed Holy Week!

2 comments:

doctorgianna said...

Thanks for pointing this out. I still think it would be prudent to approach these areas very carefully and really understand WHY there is ongoing debate about them. Then pray and discern whether they are an option for you. If you can stay out of these waters at all, it is probably best you do until something more definitive is said about them. But I do know some faithful Catholics who have used these.

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

I love that you care enough to be precise on Church teaching! And, I agree with doctorgianna on prudence in these areas. Isn't embryo adoption also an open question?