Tuesday, January 7, 2014

So We're Having Another Baby....

...and I already have very little time to blog!

Let's update:  We are back into school since Advent and Christmas are over, and I still have to get my 180 days in for the school year.   I think we are halfway there, so that is good news!

But while I am helping Isabel with schoolwork, Ian is no longer content to just "play".  He wants to be doing schoolwork (or something close to it) as well.  For instance, today Isabel was counting out  different ways to make various change amounts using real coins.  Ian saw the coins and began matching up the correct number of coins to little number cards that I had.  So 2 coins for #2, etc.  Of course it might have been a quarter and a penny....he wasn't actually counting out 2 cents or anything, but he was able to do 1 to 1 correspondence and he could visually recognize and name all the numbers from 1-10.  He's 2 1/2 going on 4.  So I've realized that I'm going to have to really have his preschool "work" ready (ie., enough to keep him busy and engaged) for next August.....and maybe before then!!! 

Meanwhile, Caroline is crawling toward the wood burning fireplace insert.  Yep....the hot contraption that we use to heat our entire house???.....that one.  When we went to the wood burning insert route for heating, my only requirement was that I wanted to be able to see the fire through a glass door....call me a sucker for the romance of a warm crackling fireplace scene. A lot of wood inserts have big black doors and you are unable to view the fire.  Well, apparently, C is just as enamoured with the sight of the beautiful flames as I am!  It's her new fascination.  Between 8 and 9 months she started crawling, learned how to pull up onto furniture, and now thinks she can let go and stand on her own.  The problem is that she is just not "solid" enough.....my kids are itty bitty, remember?  She just doesn't have enough stability to stand without holding onto something, but boy does she want to!  So she is into EVERYTHING.  Not complaining!  It's simply amazing how fast it happened.  One month she was stationary.  I could set her in the exersaucer and she was content.  Now she just wants to go, go, go!

And I have hit the really yucky feeling, full of queasies-all-day part of pregnancy.  Whew.  There is no time in this house for me to sit around feeling queasy, though!  At this point, I feel great *while I'm eating*.....not a good scenario.  It equates to me constantly eating.  And then, of course feeling nauseaus after I'm done eating.  Hopefully I should be turning the corner in a few more weeks!  Hang in there, right? ;)

There are days when I think to myself, "holy cow, we are having a 4th baby"....and I think this for so many reasons!

1.  Just 5 years ago we were in the midst of losing 4 babies, and now we are having a 4th live one?
2.  Holy cow, I have been pregnant EIGHT times!
3.  Holy cow, where are we going to put another baby??  We only live in a 3 bedroom house!
4.  Holy cow, is it going to be possible to homeschool a 3rd grader, a preschooler, and have a 16 month old and a newborn.....ALL AT THE SAME TIME??? ;)
5.  Holy cow, God is so amazing that He would give me this vocation of motherhood at all....I've got to do a better job with the beautiful little gifts He has entrusted to me!

Ummm.....I could go on and on.  I mean, my mind just doesn't seem to stop these days.  Well, until about 30 minutes after all the kids are in bed and I pass out on the couch.  Then Rob has to wake me up and send me to bed ;)  Sleep is pretty good these nights!  Caroline wakes up throughout the night several times still, but then she puts herself back to bed....all but 2x.  So I feed her around midnight and then around 4am.  Some of you are probably thinking, "is she nuts???  C is 9 months old!  She should be sleeping through the night."  Well, this crazy little baby has not slept through the night yet, and for only nursing 2x a night now, we have come a very, very long way!  I figure she will get it eventually.  And honestly, I think she is getting close to cutting the midnight feeding.  We might have her sleeping all the way through the night in time for #4.

#4  Girl or Boy?  We have decided not to find out again!  It was so much fun not knowing until delivery with Caroline, that we will gladly be surprised again.

And upon hearing that we are quite quickly expecting a fourth baby so soon after Caroline, most people have been ecstatic!  I was literally quite surprised with the joy and excitement I could hear, see, and sense in people about this fourth baby!  It has really been a blessing to have such positive reactions, because there is always that tiny bit of doubt that pops in every now and then in my head..... can we really handle another baby????  And so soon???  I guess God knows, right?


2 comments:

The Will Of God In All Things said...

Answer to number 3 question: YES! I'm one of 4(3 girls and one boy), and we grew up on a 3 bedroom house.My sisters and I were in one bedroom and my brother had a bedroom to himself. My sisters and I fought like cats and dogs at times, but hey, we probably would have even if we all had our own bedroom. But we also had lots of fun playing games and talking to each other late into the night and lots of laughter too. I look back on that time with nostalgia now.

Congrats again on #4!

Suzanne

Jen said...

Answer to #4, yes! I have a six year old, four year old, two year old and 10 month old. During the pregnancy with our fourth, I had the same concerns you do. Thankfully, I found that homeschool and day to day running of the household went much more smoothly after baby than during the pregnancy-particularly during the all day sick part. I prefer toddler wrangling with newborn to toddler wrangling while pregnant, haha. Congratulations on your pregnancy and prayers for an end to the queasiness. Having four is really so much fun!