Monday, February 11, 2013

Consignment Sale Wins and Woes

Yesterday Isabel and I went to the Kid's Exchange Consignment Sale, which is the largest consignment sale in our area.  It was 1/2 price day...need I say more?  Well, I will.  I LOVE to get things for a bargain and it just makes good shopping sense!  I do not even attempt to go on the full price days, because as far as I'm concerned I can't want what I haven't seen...sort of an "out of sight, out of mind" type of concept for shopping.  The only problem with 1/2 price day is that the check-out line snakes around the building and you typically wait in that line for about an hour before you get to the part where they tally up your total and then move you on to the actual checkout to fork over your money. 

Yesterday, we stood in line for one hour and 45 minutes.  31 weeks pregnant, in my church shoes, waiting to check out in a line of people.  I just kept praying that I wouldn't faint...and luckily I didn't.  I always bring a stroller to these consignment sales so that I have something with which to lug around my pile of clothes.....and I had plenty of time to add up my purchases.  I counted over $100 just in clothing, and then I had 6 pairs of shoes and 3 push toy trucks....you really need to buy enough to make it worth the effort of searching through the clothing and making sure there are no rips, stains or other major faults, and of course that it is worth the long line.  I walked out spending $118 before tax and ended up with a total of 38 items.  That's like $3.10 per item and that included my 6 pairs of kid's shoes!!!  LOVE these sales.  I have to say that for me, these sales are sooooo worth it, even pregnant and tired.

At home I go through all my purchases and just bask in how much I got for so little ;)  And of course last night I had the kids try on their shoes.  We all got a little surprise when Ian tried on a pair of shoes that I had already earmarked for "church".


Ha!  The joke was on me when he put these shoes on!  Can you imagine him squeaking into church???  (Or anywhere in public for that matter).  Luckily there is a little insert in the side of the sole that pops out, removing the "problem".  No wonder they were such a good deal!

No comments: